Some detailed articles on specific MPN treatments are outlined below.
Polycythemia vera and Essential thrombocythemia
These include information about when to start treatment, and evidence on efficacy of Hydroxycarbamide (hydroxyurea) versus Interferon Alpha (pegasys).
- Interferons in MPNs, a conversation with an MPN specialist, November 2022, courtesy of MPN Advocacy and Education International.
This is a video with an MPN specialist, not a published article but is very informative.
- ‘The Lancet, Haematology, 2022’ – Appropriate management of polycythaemia vera with cytoreductive drug therapy: European LeukemiaNet 2021 recommendations – for PV patients under 60
(Comprehensive summary of this article available courtesy of MPN-Hub)
- Hemasphere, 2021 ‘New Perspectives of Interferon-alpha2 and Inflammation in Treating Philadelphia-negative Chronic Myeloproliferative Neoplasms‘
- ‘Leukaemia’, 2021 – Interferon-alpha for treating polycythemia vera yields improved myelofibrosis-free and overall survival
- ASH, 2020 – Does interferon alpha prolong survival and prevent progression in patients with PV? – 5 min video summary by lead author.
- ‘Blood’, 2020 – Persistent leukocytosis in polycythemia vera is associated with disease evolution but not thrombosis
- ‘Blood’, 2019 – Interferon in Polycythemia Vera Yields Improved Myelofibrosis-Free and Overall Survival
- ‘Therapeutic advances in Hematology’, 2019 – Updates in the management of polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia
- ‘Blood’, 2018 – Results of the Myeloproliferative Neoplasms – Research Consortium (MPN-RC) 112 Randomized Trial of Pegylated Interferon Alfa-2a (PEG) Versus Hydroxyurea (HU) Therapy for the Treatment of High Risk Polycythemia Vera (PV) and High Risk Essential Thrombocythemia (ET)
- ‘JNCCN’, 2018 – Do All Patients With Polycythemia Vera or Essential Thrombocythemia Need Cytoreduction?
- ‘Lancet Haematology’, 2017 – Efficacy and safety of pegylated interferon alpha-2a in patients with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera – results of a Phase 2 study after a 7 year median follow up.
- ‘NEJM’, 2013 – Basis of Hematocrit Treatment Guideline for PV: Cardiovascular Events and the Intensity of Treatment in Polycythaemia Vera
- Future of Jak inhibition in myelofibrosis, 2022 (detailed video discussion from MPN experts courtesy of MPN Hub)
- Evolving therapy of MPNs 2022 – video overview by Dr Ruben Mesa. Myelofibrosis specific information commences at 27.42 minutes
- ‘Therapeutic Advances in Hematology’, 2022 – A retrospective real-world study of the current treatment pathways for myelofibrosis in the United Kingdom: the REALISM UK study,
- Journal of Hematology and Oncology, 2022 – Momelotinib: an emerging treatment for myelofibrosis patients with anemia
- European Hematology Association Conference, 2022 – Oral presentation. Momentum: Phase 3 randomized study of Momelotinib versus Danazol in symptomatic and anemic myelofibrosis patients previously treated with a Jak inhibitor
- American Cancer Society Journals, 2022 – Defining disease modification in myelofibrosis in the era of targeted therapy
- Blood Cancer Journal, 2021 – Efficacy and tolerability of Janus kinase inhibitors in myelofibrosis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis
Management of MPN in pregnant patients
- Best practice recommendations for the management of MPN in pregnant patients, courtesy of MPN Hub, 2021
(Please note that these are not Australian guidelines and local Australian practices may differ.)
- How interferon works in MPN patients, November 2022, courtesy of MPN Advocacy and Education International
This is a video presentation and Q and A session with Dr Gabby Hobbs, MPN specialist, Clinical Director of Leukemia Service at Massachusetts General Hospital and Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School. This is wide-ranging and includes considerations physicians take into account about using interferon in pregnancy (35 mins in).
Ropeginterferon – a pegylated form of interferon alpha approved in Europe and the USA for PV but not available in Australia.
- ‘The Lancet’, Haematology, 2020 – Ropeginterferon alpha-2b versus standard therapy for polycythaemia vera (PROUD-PV and CONTINUATION-PV): a randomised, non-inferiority, phase 3 trial and its extension study
- MPN-Hub, 2020 – PROUD-PV phase III results on ropeginterferon alpha-2b for polycythemia vera – main details from the Lancet article immediately above.
- Hemasphere, Dec 2020 – Ropeginterferon Alfa-2b: Efficacy and Safety in Different Age Groups – supplementary information.
Possible future treatments via targeted therapies – may not yet be available in Australia
- American Cancer Society Journal, ‘Cancer’, 2022 – Defining disease modification in myelofibrosis in the era of targeted therapy
- ‘Medicina’, 2021 – New Horizons in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms Treatment: A Review of Current and Future Therapeutic Options