Some detailed articles on specific MPN treatments are outlined below.
CYTOREDUCTION: articles discussing when to start, and evidence on Hydroxycarbamide (hydroxyurea) versus Interferon Alpha (pegasys).
- ‘Blood’, 2020 – Persistent leukocytosis in polycythemia vera is associated with disease evolution but not thrombosis
- ASH, 2020 – Does interferon alpha prolong survival and prevent progression in patients with PV? – 5 min video summary by lead author.
- ‘Blood’, 2019 – Interferon in Polycythemia Vera (PV) Yields Improved Myelofibrosis-Free and Overall Survival
- ‘Therapeutic advances in Hematology’, 2019 – Updates in the management of polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia
- ‘Blood’, 2018 – Results of the Myeloproliferative Neoplasms – Research Consortium (MPN-RC) 112 Randomized Trial of Pegylated Interferon Alfa-2a (PEG) Versus Hydroxyurea (HU) Therapy for the Treatment of High Risk Polycythemia Vera (PV) and High Risk Essential Thrombocythemia (ET)
- ‘JNCCN’, 2018 – Do All Patients With Polycythemia Vera or Essential Thrombocythemia Need Cytoreduction?
- ‘Lancet Haematology’, 2017 – Efficacy and safety of pegylated interferon alpha-2a in patients with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera – results of a Phase 2 study after a 7 year median follow up.
- ‘NEJM’, 2013 – Basis of Hematocrit Treatment Guideline for PV: Cardiovascular Events and the Intensity of Treatment in Polycythaemia Vera
- ‘Leukemia and Lymphoma’, 2016 – Ruxolitinib is effective in patients with intermediate-1 risk myelofibrosis: a summary of recent evidence
- ‘Leukemia’ , 2016 – Long-term findings from COMFORT-II, a phase 3 study of ruxolitinib vs best available therapy for myelofibrosis plus a minor correction.
- ‘Internal Medicine Journal’, 2015 – Practical management of myelofibrosis with ruxolitinib
- ‘Onco Targets and Therapy’, 2015 – Critical appraisal of the role of ruxolitinib in myeloproliferative neoplasm-associated myelofibrosis
Ropeginterferon – a pegylated form of interferon alpha approved in Europe for PV but not yet available in Australia.
- ‘The Lancet’, Haematology, 2020 – Ropeginterferon alpha-2b versus standard therapy for polycythaemia vera (PROUD-PV and CONTINUATION-PV): a randomised, non-inferiority, phase 3 trial and its extension study
- MPN-Hub, 2020 – PROUD-PV phase III results on ropeginterferon alpha-2b for polycythemia vera – main details from the Lancet article immediately above.
- Hemasphere, Dec 2020 – Ropeginterferon Alfa-2b: Efficacy and Safety in Different Age Groups – supplementary information.
Possible future treatments via targeted therapies – not yet available in Australia
- ‘Biomarker Research’, 2019 – Targeted therapies for myeloproliferative neoplasms